ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Don Ellis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,738
Like?
Review -- Custom Mechanical Cable Release Adapter
Feb 2, 2008

Part 1
Richard Franiec’s Custom Mechanical Cable Release Adapter (CMCRA)

[This is a two-part review since I was just told it's too long for a single message.]

I received my adapter in the mail today. And since the weather in Hong Kong is cold (as in COLD) and rainy, I set up my light tent and will share some photos and first impressions.

Richard sent me my first CMCRA about two and half weeks ago with a warning that it wouldn’t fit a Hakuba cable release… no problem; I’d just purchased a 40-inch cable release with the promising name of Universal.

Unfortunately, the postal system that I’m so fond of took two weeks this time to get it to Hong Kong (usually it’s about six days). And when it arrived, the Universal was added to the list of cable releases that wouldn’t work.

I emailed Richard and within two days he had redesigned the adapter and mailed me another… I tell you all this to give you an idea of his approach to quality and customer service. And he express mailed the second one.

The threads on the new adapter are closer to the surface and it should now work with nearly any cable release, including Hakuba. It certainly does with mine.

The adapter is made of Delrin and you simply screw your cable release into the device. Do not over-tighten. This isn’t a jar lid or a leaky garden-hose fitting. You simply snug it finger-tight and no more. Delrin is tough but you don’t want to strip the threads out by proving how manly you have.

Once the cable release is screwed in, you push the adapter over the shutter release and zoom lever. The first couple of times, I found it easier to hold the camera facing me so I could see that I was lining up the zoom cover of the adapter with the zoom lever on the camera. It doesn’t take a lot of effort.

The friction-fit system is enough to keep everything in place when you’re using the cable release. You can machine Delrin to very tight tolerances (which Richard has) but the beauty of the material is that there is a very slight “give” to it. Again, there’s no point in pressing the cable release tremendously hard to see if you can pop it off. The idea is to take a photo, and it does that very well.

All right, I’ve got everything fitted properly, so it’s time to test the half-press and full-press positions of the shutter. Surprisingly, it takes me only about ten shutter presses while looking at the LCD viewfinder to realize what it feels like for half-press… and then full-press. So I test it… shut my eyes, half-press, hold it there, open my eyes, and yes, I’m at the half-press point on the LCD. Another millimetre or so and I’ve taken the photo.

I have a feeling that I’ll need to go through this “feel” routine about three times in the future if it’s been awhile since I’ve used it last… just to get a feel for it again. Then I can focus on my subject and forget about looking at the LCD.

You, too, should be able to do this if you are a sensitive artist like me.

[Part 2 of this review follows in the next message.]

Cheers,
Don
http://www.kleptography.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow