Started Jan 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ePan
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
Blame Apple or Nikon/Canon
Jan 31, 2008

I've been reading through the long list of complaints in this forum and many others like it about Aperture's lack of support for some new Nikon and Canon cameras. I don't own any of the cameras in question, and I'm not a professional photographer who relies on this type of update for my livelihood, but I can certainly understand how frustrating this must be for folks who are feeling stuck.

While it's clear that Apple's foot dragging on this update can (and should) cost them the loyalty of many professional photographers, I hope that this issue also places some pressure on camera manufacturers and focuses more attention on another far more important topic: Open RAW.

I think Canon/Nikon should be held equally responsible for placing their users in this predicament. I don't care what format becomes the standard, but it seems clear to me that the constant cat and mouse game between new camera RAW formats and softwares that must constantly try to catch up, is a game that consumers will ultimately lose out on, if there is not a stronger consumer demand placed on a standard format.

The recent exciting story about the discovery of Robert Capa's 72 year old negatives comes to mind. Regardless of how comparatively insignificant we may feel our photos are today, none of us (professional or snap shot hobbyists) would be comfortable with the idea of our photos not being available even a few years down the line. And how many of us would feel comfortable archiving our .CRW, .CR2, or .NEF files and trying to open them up 72 years down the line?
--

• Eric

http://homepage.mac.com/panosian/365

ePan's gear list:ePan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow