Started Jan 28, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr.Jones
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
A question for D300 owners - using AIS lenses
Jan 28, 2008

I own a good collection of fast fine Nikon AIS primes that I used to use back in the FE/FE2/FA days - anyone remember those? I am considering purchasing a D300. Through reading literature online and else were on the D300, it is my understanding that I would be able to use these AIS lenses.

My questions are :

1) Is one able to specific specifically the exactly what the lens is (IE: 35mm/f1.4 or 105mm/f1.8)?

2) Once this information has been manually entered into the camera, will the camera write that lens information (IE: focal length & maximum aperture data, along with actual aperture used) into the exposure information?;

3) Do the camera bodies contain a memory space in which different lens information may be store so as not to have to re-enter the information again at another time (IE: Memory ’A’ for my 24mm/f2; memory ’B’ for my 35mm/f1.4, memory ’C’ for my 105mm/f1.8, etc., etc.)?

If not, how does this ’feature’ work on these bodies?

Just a quick side-note: to anyone suggesting I forget about the hassle of using manual lens and get auto focus lens. Most of my work is Earth-Astrophotography; so auto focus lenses are completely useless to me in that regard - I know, I own a few, and I still end up putting them into manual focus to get the composition I want.

For all those who are able to contribute useful information to me, mucho gracias!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow