E-3 banding @ high iso - do YOU have it?

Started Jan 21, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
csgzs
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?
E-3 banding @ high iso - do YOU have it?
Jan 21, 2008

Hi there,

A while ago I have promised a review of the E-3 under some stress - shooting modern dance on stage. To cut a long story short: it performed very well, up to my expectations. Sorry, but I could not find time to put down my notes. Others have done that already - my observations are similar if not identical.

There is a problem however that bugged me, but forgot it until a friend pointed it out to me: there is quite a bit of banding on my high iso shots. I show them to you now and ask the E-3 owners if they could check their machines for this effect. Note that I am aware that this is not a good shot and in general a poor way of using high iso (making a flat and dark place appear brighter) - the image is not included for its aesthetics, merely to depict the banding problem. Note: these images were converted to DNG and developed in LR, but I do not think this should affect anything. I have checked if all this can be linked to any specific lens, but it could not be - the bands appear with the 50-200, the 50, the 14-54 and with the 12-60 too.

The full (but obviously resized) image:

Crop from the area close to the dancer:

Images are taken @ iso1600. The camera I was using was on load from a dealer and was among the early bathces. Do you think this is attributable to the camera being basically a demo? And: do YOU have this?

Thanks,
Zs

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow