How many CF cards have failed with you???

Started Jan 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,503Gear list
Like?
How many CF cards have failed with you???
Jan 20, 2008

I've made about 20,000 pix and just had my first CF card to fail. I was "playing"--- just making photos in my back yard of a rare snow in Atlanta and the CF card failed. The card was new. I formatted it and made about 15 pix on Friday and then some on Saturday. On Saturday I noticed that the red "busy" light stayed on for about a minute for the last couple of shots and then the LCD (5D) said "Fornat CF card". I tried and it wouldn't format. I brought it in and tried to look at the pix on the computer and got the message "card not formatted--- do you want to format it?". It's toast.

I have Sandisk 1 gb & 2gb Ultra II, 8gb Extreme III, Lexar 8gb Professional 133x, Kingston Ultimate 8gb 133x and Kingston elite pro 16gb 133x. The Kingston elite pro 16gb 133x is the one that failed. I'm not damning Kingston, but I just want to try and avoid another failure as much as possible and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. I got the 8gb and 16gb because I shoot RAW + JPEG and I get tired of changing cards, but maybe I need to rethink the high gb cards. I would have really been PO'ed if I had been at a photo workshop or on a sightseeing-picture-taking vacation and had a CF card failure.

What are your thoughts on what gb card to use?

Have you had good or bad experience with a certain brand or series CF card?

I'm sure others would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoneNew
NoneNew
NoneNew
NoneNew
NoneNew
ZeroNew
NoneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow