Started Jan 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt_Anderson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,778
Like?
D300 Noise ISO 100 vs 200
Jan 20, 2008

I've been comparing noise in highlight, midtone, and shadow on RAW files shot 14 bit and processed in ACR.

Pixel peeping anywhere from 100% to 400%, checking composite RGB channels and individual RGB channels.

I clearly see more noise in ISO 200 files. I personally have not witnessed an increase in DR at ISO 200 as well. This is very hard to test, but all my testing to this point has yielded no significant differences.

I am curious to here if anyone else has done similar tests, and what results you have witnessed as well.

I have also compared clear blue sky shots between the 5D and the D300 to see if there is more noise in a mid tone to quarter tone area. The 5D appears to be slightly cleaner at ISO 100 and 200. ( i haven't compared other ISO's , both files processed thru ACR ) If I over expose the D300 files by 1/2 stop at ISO 200, the mid tones look similar to the 5D file with respect to noise. Not sure why that is.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow