Not your usual Diffusers / Flashes modifiers thread - must read.

Started Jan 12, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
denny2020
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Not your usual Diffusers / Flashes modifiers thread - must read.
Jan 12, 2008

Diffusers and Flash modifiers is a popular topic on this forum. Why? Because it makes your lighting better than your direct flash does. The only problem is that there is always debate on which modifier is the best. However, the most logical answer is it depends... Depends on situation, effect you want to achieve. Personal preference and style.

So what I wanted to see is what people here generally like in terms of lighting. Not which diffuser, but the lighting outcome desired most. So below is a set of photos with different diffuser methods with a single on board flashhead (Canon 430ex). I know the best outcome is actually a studio with multiple flashes and softboxes, etc. etc. But for people like me that generally take candid photos and portraits for hobby are not willing to invest in such equipment yet.

So the point is to find the best on camera single flash method.

Few things to keep in mind. The photos are all taken in a white room about 10 feet by 10 feet. Basic condo size bedroom with white walls and ceiling. No other lights turned on. So all light is from on board flash. i.e no balancing of ambient lighting so what ever effect only from flash head. Shot at M exposure with E-ttl.

Model is me since my wife wouldn't allow me to put her online. So not the best of composition or model :S

So all you need to do is post the number corresponding to the photo you like. You can guess at the diffusion or lighting method if you want.

I will post the results of this experiment or survey after there is a represented amount of voting. As well as will post what method for each photo afterwards.

Some of the methods including bounce off ceiling, back walls, tupperware diffusion, Chuck Gardner's foam diffuser, bounce card, etc.

Thanks in advance for participating.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2, 4New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow