What is the sharpest possible landscape lens?

Started Jan 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?
What is the sharpest possible landscape lens?
Jan 11, 2008

I would like to know what is considered the sharpest landscape lens. Unfortunately the 14-24 doesn't count (for me) because I can't use filters with it and even though I simply asked "what is the sharpest lens" $2000 is a little more than I'd like to spend on a lens (I'm in Canada).

The 17-55 would be the most useful range, and also be wide enough for me, however it is optimized for f2.8-5.6 and actually gets a little worse when stopped down further.

I was thinking the 17-35 or 12-24 would be the best I can do without going for the 14-24. Is one better than the other? 12mm would be plenty wide for me, and I'd be ok with 17mm too because I currently use an 18-50 lens. I am aware of the Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24, but if money were no object (excluding the 14-24) which landscape lens is the best?

The rumored 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR lens is very intriguing, but I doubt it will be as sharp as some of the higher end lenses.

My Sigma 18-50 EX MACRO lens is extremely sharp for macro application and when the subject is fairly close to the lens, but at 18mm even stopped down for landscapes it's pretty average and that Is why I am looking for something else.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Mark

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow