Started Dec 27, 2007 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,397
Like?
Re: Points against the TX1
In reply to Jared Hunter, Jan 9, 2008

Jared Hunter wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

This means higher quality and more flexibility in editing.

1. This is an often parroted statement about MJPEG vs MPEG but has
anyone really shown in practical terms the real difference?

The editing flexibility depends upon which software you use. Simpler editors will not allow you to use I-frames as edit points, while better editors will peform the necessary interpolation automatically and allow you to use any frame.

IMO, the difference is overstated and a non-issue given the intended
use of the camera...home videos. It's not like frame-accurate editing
is critical for home stuff, especially when most people use fade or
dissolve transitions between scenes.

It depends on what you're doing. I recently attended a model RR show and took several minutes of footage of the trains and layouts with my Canon A710. When I got home I realized I had a really nice version of the "Orange Blossom Special" that the clips would go great with. I used Premiere Elements to edit together the clips, cutting them in time with the music. If I had been restricted to full frames (which real-time encoders typically produce twice a second) I would not have been able to achieve the effect I wanted. I'm really pleased with the result, the music and timing (not my camera skills!) is about 80% of what makes it good.

I'm currently evaluating a TX1 and am leaning on sending it back. In
order to accommodate the large video files, the required storage
cards don't make economic sense (yet).

Yes, the file sizes are a problem, especially if you're a vacation shooter. I shoot mostly stills and only use video occasionally, but I still don't like using my hard drive to hold all that info. I've taken to copying all my raw video files to DVDs and deleting them from the hard drive because I can't justify keeping them there, especially bearing in mind that all my hard drive files are backed up weekly to multiple cycles of external drives.

Of course you have to remember that users of DV camcorders have always faced the same problem. As storage prices continue to drop it will be less and less of an issue.

2. We're in the winter months now in North America so bright sunlight
isn't so much of an issue. But once the summer months come, I'm
thinking the purple streaking of bright light sources on video will
really get to bother me about this camera.

Yup, that's definitely a serious issue.

3. The TX1 has been out for a while. I have a sneaking suspicion that
the TX2 is just around the corner and will remedy a lot of faults
with the TX1. HD resolution 720P video was a premium feature in 2007.
If you look at the CES 2008 announcements, the writing is on the
wall: it looks like 720P in digicams will be the "it" feature in
2008 just like face recognition was in 2007.

The G9 already has 720P mode, but only at 15fps. I agree that all of the higher-end compact cameras will likely include HD video within the next year or so. As flash memory prices come down, and if the manufacturers can solve some of the issues we've talked about, the days of the camcorder are numbered. Of course they'll likely take their time solving the problems in order to continue providing incentives to upgrade...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow