Started Jan 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fotopics
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Nikon Service Nightmare
Jan 8, 2008

I just would like to hear your opinions about Nikon Canada Service plus i want to share mine experience . 8 weeks ago i left a year old AF-S17-55mm2.8 for service which is covered by NikonCanada 5Years Warr. Reason for service i've notice that zoom ring moves uneven and it looses pressure at around 35-45mm, and focus ring squeak in MF or AF.Because i was leaving country i was promised service within 3 weeks. After 3 weeks when i came to pick up lens i find out that it's not ready and it's gonna cost me $700 .They refuse warranty because they believe lens "sustained external damage". I refused to pay that amount and demanded to see lens and broken parts. They hand me plastic box with all glass elements thrown with all the other metal tubes and rings (and we still use UV filters to protect our glass) how professional is that. Anyway they refused warranty because soft plastic ring 2mm in diam is "compressed" and it scratched internal tube and they believe i must cause trauma to the lens to do it. Problem i see is that tube moves against ring when you use zoom ring and to me misalignment or material defect of ring is more probable cause. Especially that lens was send 1st time for cleaning and adjustment 2 months before. During a year period i own this lens i've used it sporadically and it's still in pristine cosmetic condition and newer was misused.We'are also talking about pro lens $1800(now less) thats full of cheap soft plastic and it don't have to break to get you out of warranty. After second estimate they lowered price to $350 because SWF Motor miraculously start working. I've also sent around 8 emails to Assistant Service Manager and still waiting for personal meeting with Manager. Please need you're advice, it's no longer about money i just now i didn't do anything wrong with the lens and they shouldn't treat customer that spent 15k or any other like that.
Peter

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
NPSNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow