Started Jan 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wildplaces
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
40D vs XTi for Hiking
Jan 8, 2008

I recently decided to buy my first DSLR and lenses 40 yrs after buying a film SLR...the consumer and prosumer DSLR seems to have advanced to the point where I could be happy with the results and afford the camera.

I posted a thread on the Canon Lens forum about which lenses might be appropriate for hiking/snowshoeing and solicited some thoughtful comment, then took a trip to a local camera store to look at the camera and lenses.

I was struck right away by the difference in size and weight of the Rebel XTi and the 40D...almost felt like the difference between a styofoam block and a brick! The Rebel XTi is almost half the size! I was thinking that perhaps I had made a mistake. The salesman (the store manager of a respected local camera shop) pushed the Rebel XTi unless I had a good reason for preferring the 40D.

Although the lens is a long term investment, I guess the body can be upgraded easily enough...any thoughts on which camera might be most appropriate to start with?

wildplaces

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow