Started Jan 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Canon G9 Flash Compatibility List
Jan 5, 2008

The question of which flashes can be used with the popular Canon G9 comes up frequently. In this discussion thread, I'd like for those with personal experience to list and comment on flashes that they know will work with the Canon G9. Please include a note about whether or not the flash will work with Canon ETTL.

There is a known problem with some older flash units having a high trigger voltage that could damage the G9 (as well as other cameras). One reference for trigger voltage is http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html .

Please note that the Canon G9 does not have ETTL flash control when the G9 is in "manual" mode -- even with Canon flash units. This is true of all the G series Canons.

I have personally used the Canon 380EX, 420EX, 580EX on my Canon G9. All these work as expected, including with ETTL control (except in manual mode). The Canon G9 manual includes references to these flashes as well as the 430EX, the 550EX and the 580EX II.

I have personally used the Nikon SB-28 and SB-24 flash units on my Canon G9. I normally use these in manual mode on both the G9 and flash. These Nikon flash units also have an "auto" mode in which the camera aperture is (manually) dialed into the flash unit and the flash unit takes control of flash duration. It works quite well.

I have personally used the Vivitar 285HV (note the specific model 285HV) on my Canon G9. It works well in Canon manual mode and includes the flash auto mode (similar to Nikon SB-28 and 24).

What other flash units are being used on the G9?

I'm posting this list and will be updating it on my blog, http://lightdescription.blogspot.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow