The real scoop on after market batteries ratings.

Started Jan 2, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sparkey2
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,073Gear list
Like?
The real scoop on after market batteries ratings.
Jan 2, 2008

OK gang, I started a post a yesterday about Sterlingtek batteries and in the course of the conversation it came up again about the mAh rating of batteries. A long standing question has been how can you put twice the amount of battery capacity in same size container.

Sterlingtek was out of the replacement battery I needed for my XT so they suggested that I Google Diamondback batteries since they sold a quality product too. I found their website and emailed that exact question to them and following is my my question to him and his unedited reply to me.

If you have any interest in camera batteries or if yours will be needing a replacement soon then I suggest you read his reply carefully to inform yourself and make your own judgement. I plan to try one of their replacement batteries.

On Jan 1, 2008 2:36 PM, Paul Alters wrote:

I read your blog and see where you are hoping for a positive review on DP Review. I am a DP forum reader and frequent poster.

A question that has come up time and time again is dealing with the mAh rating of after market batteries. Example, I am in the market to purchase replacement

Canon NB-2LH batteries. Your site and Sterlingtek both say that your batteries have capacity of 1700 and 1400 mAh respectively. Canon OEM batteries state 720 mAH.

Please explain to me how you can put more than double the battery capacity in the same case size as Canon using the same technology.

If you can provide me with a valid explanation then I will post your reply at DP and I will purchase your product and again post results to DP should I find your product as equal or better.

Dear Paul,

First of all, thank you for reading my blog. I will tell the whole story. It all started about 2 or 3 years ago. I was actually running sterlingtek, so you can probably put this explanation to both companies. We were labeling all of our batteries honestly and I tried to make that a standard. The problem was that most if not all our competition were overrating their batteries (sometimes even using very substandard cells and selling them as premium). The geni is now out of the bottle and even people like duracell folowed suit. I was put in a great moral delima overrate batteries or get out of the battery business. I probably had made the wrong choice but I decided the folowing: We will rate our batteries to compete with other aplicable items, however we will always use the very best cells available. The battery that you are inquiring of is actually made with 750mAh cells. I do wish there was some watchdog group out there that kept everyone honest, then every consumer could do see an actual assessment of battery quality. I am sorry if I have disapointed you, I hope that you will not judge me or my company too harshly, as we are just not getting started.

Thank You Again,
Steve

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow