First time DSLR camera (EOS400D or A100)

Started Dec 25, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
verbylbelch
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
First time DSLR camera (EOS400D or A100)
Dec 25, 2007

Hi all (and hope you have all had a merry christmas)

I have been researching entry level DSLRs for a few months now and with the xmas sales on the horizon i have decided that now may be the best time to buy.

To date i only have had experience with my compact Cannon Ixus camera and i found it a little limiting so i bought a Konica Minolta SLR camera with a few cheap lenses. The reason i want to get a DSLR now is that combined with the cost of developing and the associated wait to actually "see" my photos i have missed out on some great photo opportunites and i think digital is the logical step.

I have narrowed my options down to two camera choices....the Cannon EOS400 and the Sony A100 (both with kit lenses). I've not heard a great deal about the Sony, other than it has the Minolta mount (so i can use the lenses i have bought already), it has IS in the body but has problems with noise at high ISOs. The EOS 400 has good reviews an alright Kit lens but no IS.

Can anyone give any advice here and their experience with either camera, particulary the A100. How do both the supplied kit lenses fair?

If i went the A100 route, i could as mentioned, use my current lenses but they are cheap, old ebay purchases, which probably don't give as great pics as their newer brothers and sisters.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow