Started Dec 25, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Max Minyarno
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
5D no match for D300
Dec 25, 2007

I am at a cross road. The only thing holding me back from moving to Nikon was the metering display which I now know can be custom reversed.

So, the final decision before me is whether to spend quite a bit more on the 5D or go the D300 way. Lenses are not really a problem I only have two.

I'm hearing from a local wedding photog here in my town the D300 has the same pixels as the 5D, low light performance is very similar and the image quiality is just as good if not a tad better on the D300. Ergonomics and Nikon is the winner, CLS flash system and Nikon is the winner and focus and white balance again he believes the D300 is in a class of its own. I would normally take opinions like this with a grain of salt except for the fact he has been shooting with a 5D for over a year now but he has also had his new D300 for about two weeks now.

So, the next setp is hunting around these forums for opinions but it appears the D300 vs 5D comparrisons are thin on the ground. Forget price point, forget release dates, wouldn't it be logical to compare 12 MP with another 12 MP, even though if you shoot tele, for the same distance from cam you are going to get a whole heap more pixels covering your image with the D300 than with the 5D.

I'm not made of money and while I know its the photographer that takes the shot and not the cam, if I spend big money I want it to be on something very good.

Any direct comparisons between the 5D and the D300 would be interesting. The D300 seems to be quite a remarkable cam for the price. I am seriously running out of excuses not to finally get one.

Thanx

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow