Started Dec 23, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Drew Loker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
One D3 or 3 DLSRs??? Weddings?
Dec 23, 2007

I am still sitting on the fence on the D3...and I need some help justifying the expenditure.

It is not a matter of IF I get another DLSR...just when. I currently use THREE DSLRs at a wedding. This is NOT counting a 4th camera by a 2nd shooter (usually my wife).

I would be lying to say I don't want a D3...but 1) I find it hard to justify $5k on a body. A D2h was hard to justify...but when I made the mistake of selling a D100 and getting two D70s...just to find out that the D70 was NOT up to par for a wedding camera...I made the commitment to do get the D2h.

To help put things in perspective...I am a HS photography teacher...and that is my main job. I shoot for the school on a volunteer basis. That means...I turn my stuff over to the school publications staff so they can do what they want with it...but I shoot with my own gear. I also do about 8-12 weddings a year. I don't charge an outrageous amount...so I pretty much break even when it comes to annual living expenses...with a few extra SMALL things that the weddings cover. Point is...the D3 is no small purchase. I do have the money for it...but it is more like emergency cash allocated for house projects at some point.

I have already made the commitment to a heavy capital outlay in equipment purchases. A whole bunch of glass...4 flashes, etc. I have wanted the 200-400 for the nature work that I like to do...but make no money with (at least not yet)...so I haven't justified spending $5k on a lens that doesn't help the wedding or school sports (remember...school is pro-bono).

I shot with Todd's D3 last night. It was outstanding...and I can CLEARLY see it's immediate usefulness in all of the areas of photography that I shoot. But I need to hear some input here folks. Some of you all pulling the trigger shoot a LOT more...or have a LOT of money to burn...or something. We are talking about a HS photography teacher shooting a few weddings...and a little nature work.

Should I justify a $5k camera?!?!?!!?

And, if I DOOOO justify it...how the heck will it fit in with my other cameras...or which one(s) would I sell? I currently use a 28-70 on a one D200...a 10-20 on a D2h...and a 70-200 on a D40. I only use the D40/70-200 for a few shots during the ceremony...so it is pretty much put up after that. The other D200 is in use by the other shooter.

So, of my 4 bodies...which ones do I get rid of??? And if get rid of it...then I loose my VERY much desired multi-body shooting. But if I keep the other bodies...what would I really want to shoot with it...when I have a D3 to shoot with?!?!?!

Thanks for taking the time to offer any feedback!!!

-- hide signature --
 Drew Loker's gear list:Drew Loker's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D300New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow