Started Dec 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Gruffydd
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
The cracked AF-MF ring problem
Dec 22, 2007

It's hard to believe that this bit (of the 80-200 F2.8 ED lens) was designed by Nikon - it's more like a third world toy meant to last just a few days after Christmas

Thanks to some helpful folks some months back, at least it's possible to see something of the cause and effect of this common failure. Mine has a crack that extends about half way across the ring and, when I press the little silver button I can (and feel) the plastic ring buckle, so it's not going to last much longer.

I can see that the little screw fixes two leaf springs to the inside of the ring. Apart from providing the detent, what do they do? I can also see that there's a cam slot on the opposite side of the ring - I presume that engages and disengages the manual focus sleeve? Somewhere, there's also a switch that inhibits the focus motor in the camera body - what operates that?

So when the ring splits, what actually happens? Do you just lose the detent, or does the switch itself stop working too?

I've just bought this lens (used) from Aperture (UK) so I hope they will honour their 6-month warranty. (Anyone had experience with them?) If they will "play ball" I intend to purchase a new 70-200 F2.8 VR from them - I'm sure I'll be happy with that! (And so should they!).

-- hide signature --

John Gruffydd
Mold, Wales, UK
D200, E-10 + OM1,2n, Bronica ETRSi

John Gruffydd's gear list:John Gruffydd's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow