Examples of D3 light fall off (vignetting)

Started Dec 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jean bernier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,162
Always compromises...
In reply to LarryK, Dec 18, 2007

I just ended choosing the lenses for my D3. My collection includes the new 24-70mm and a 70-200mm Vr, and all equivalent primes, except a 70mm.

We've mostly been unaware of vignetting with the APS nikon's. Game over. I don't this has much to do with the FF sensor; some of my best primes will show next to no vignetting on the D3 at an aperture of 2:8.

The 24-70 equals most of my primes on sharpness, extreme corners included, except at 24mm: the old 24AF 2:8D is noticeably sharper in the corners, but it has a bad case of vignetting. Same barrel distorsion on both.
At 35mm, it's quite the same characteristics on both lenses.

The 24-70 outperforms my old 50mm 1:8 AF on corner sharpness, but the zoom pincushions and has more vignetting.

With the 70-200mm, although it's an extremely good zoom, there is no contest the 85 1:8 and 105 DC outperform it at 2:8 on all accounts. No distorsion, no vignetting, sharp all over.

Zooms always have been compromises: my two zooms vignette visibly at all settings, period.

Thruth is, it rarely bothers me, because of what I do, and because I use mostly smaller than 2:8 apertures. And software can cure most of it should it be visible.

Knowing these shortcomings, one can choose the right lens for the job: I would never use a zoom when doing reproduction, I may use one when doing portraits, depending, and I definately would use one when covering an event.
There is still no free lunch apparently...
Jean Bernier

All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow