Best lighting for simple portraits

Started Dec 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,071Gear list
Like?
Re: Irakly, a suggestion, if you please...
In reply to mg73, Dec 15, 2007

i am sorry mark for the poor word choice. instead of "indecent" i should have used "substandard". the only person who used the horizontal clamshell successfully was robert mapplethorpe, and i would never call those portraits conventional. they were all intentionally made to look flat, which is very cool on a jet-black background. if you are spending so much time perfecting the technique, believe me, it could have been much better invested.

as for my teaching style, perhaps it is not the most politically correct, but extremely effective, because i always say what i really think about a photo. what purpose will it serve to say "good job" when it really is not?

in commercial portraiture i am a proponent of the simplest lighting setups, as they give the most natural look, if used properly.

for a portrait below i used just one light, an strobe in a 60x60cm softbox bounced off a ceiling and double-bounced off a ligh-gray ceramic floor.

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow