Interested in Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for D40 - Opinions and Why do some wait?

Started Dec 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
namba
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Interested in Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for D40 - Opinions and Why do some wait?
Dec 13, 2007

Right now, I use a D40 with the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. At first it wasn't too much of a problem, but right now, I would really like the option to autofocus...and I want a similar lens. After a bit of research here, many seem to find the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to be a good choice.

1) My first question is for any users who have a D40 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 combination. How does it work for candid or portrait shots? Any sample shots? Have you ever used the 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor, and if so, how does it compare?

2) My second question is for anyone who is waiting to see if Nikon will release their own version of a lens (similar to that of the 50mm f/1.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4) that will autofocus with the D40. What is the benefit of waiting for such a lens, assuming that Nikon DOES make one?

3) My third question is where to order it? I have asked this before, and someone suggsted "B&H", but never gave a website. I would prefer a place where exchanges are possible, as I've heard that some people have had problems with their autofocusing.

Thank you for any help...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow