Nikon D3 focus with 9 fps on moving subject works perfectly!

Started Dec 10, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kk123
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
Nikon D3 focus with 9 fps on moving subject works perfectly!
Dec 10, 2007

I enclose 11 shots taken as fast as possible of a feral pigeon in flight today. The daylight today was grey and bad, with very low contrasts, not favouring any autofocus. And the pigeon was recorded in a challenging speedy flight towards the photographer.

All pictures are dead on sharp. But you can judge by yourself. Camera Nikon D3, 300mm VR f2,8. Iso Auto ending between 1100 and 1250. DX crop mode. Lock-on set to OFF. AF-C set to release priority only. 9 fps. Camera on M: 1/1600sek f2,8. I would have preferred a higher f, say f4 or 5,6. The wheather conditions and the already high ISO above 1000 made my desicion for f2,8 easy.

First picture taken 14:12:14:8 and the last of the 11 shots was taken 14:12:17:3 I.e. the 11 shots were taken in 2,5 seconds. Exifs are included directly in the pictures. All pictures are downsampled and sharpened. All pictures reveale the whole picture. The release button was pressed down all the time. I guess that the refocusing done by the camera took the extra time and thus is the reason for the low speed, althouh the priority was set to release only. But the pigeon in flight needed a lot of computing effort from the AF system, so to me that sounds reasonable.

kk123

http://www.ketilknudsen.com/galleries.php

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow