ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ribber
Contributing MemberPosts: 702
Like?
Decisions decisions... your opinions appreciated
Dec 4, 2007

Time to upgrade a few lenses. Yay.

Reading far too many mixed reviews and can't decide. Boo.

Lens #1 is going to be a 70-200... but which one? I'd love to have the F2.8 IS, but I read that it is a real hit or miss lens. IQ less than that of the F4, soft at 200, and in general... could be far better for the price. If I do manage to get a good copy of this lens, will it still be a "lesser" lens than the F4? Is a bad copy of this lens still going to be better than my Sigma 70-300 APO? Currently, my indoor/low light option is the Nifty 50... will the F4 IS do an ok job of replacing that or should I make the effort to fight for a good copy of the 2.8 IS?

Lens #2 is going to be something with some range. As a hobby photographer, I'm not ready to drop $5000 on a single lens, so I've been eyeing the 400 5.6, possibly with a 1.4 TC. Good combination for birds and squirrels in the park? How about birds in flight on a nice sunny day? I do lose AF on the lens with the 1.4 attached to it, correct? Would the 300 F4 IS be a better choice? Not as much reach as the 400... but is there an IQ increase with the 300 IS that would allow for heavier cropping? Most of the shooting I do that requires this kind of range is going to be done in the sunlight, and more range is a good thing for me... should I just go for the 400 5.6 and TC?

So yeah... that's where I'm headed, any thoughts and experiences with these lenses and combinations you wish to share would be most welcomed. I know reading more mixed reviews on these lenses is probably the last thing I should be doing, since that's what has put me in this predicament in the first place, but my girlfriend has no interest in discussing it with me and none of my friends have any interest in photography. That leaves me with the Canon SLR Lens forum

-- hide signature --

I wanna be an amateur when I grow up.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow