Started Dec 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dick Rijken
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405
Like?
TZ3, LX1 and the Quality without a name
Dec 2, 2007

I've had both the LX1 and the TZ3 since they came out. I see posts sometimes from people wanting the two compared, and there's lots of facts and figures comparisons around and they're all very useful. But, and I'm writing all this at a moment of quiet reflection caused by the LX1 having an internal wiring problem that makes it need repair, after thousands of pictures taken with both cams, there's something else that intrigues me.

Now that there's only the TZ3, I notice that I am sad. Sad because, and here comes the confession: I don't love it. I don't 'love' the TZ3, and I miss the LX1 that I love very much.

The LX1 surprises me. Often. It gives me pictures that make me sit back and wonder. And smile. It has: magic. Its own kind of magic, like some other cameras that I own (Canon S30, Oly 5050z, Oly 770uz, Oly E300, Fuji F30) that all have a particular kind of quality. The architect Chistopher Alexander talks about 'the quality without a name', and all those cameras have it.

But the TZ3 doesn't. Not for me. No magic. Lots of convenience, versatility, usability, and many other good things, so there's neither reason nor intention to diss a quality product, but it doesn't have the quality without a name.

I bought it, wanted to love it, used it extensively and will do so in the future, but there's no chemistry.

It's a strong feeling. I hope that it also makes some sense to people who are wondering what to buy... Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow