Started Nov 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sabrejohn
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Is DX going to last?
Nov 30, 2007

I'm getting back into the game and making the leap from film to digital and am about to dump 4 grand on three pro grade Nikon lenses use on a D300. From what I've learned from many here, some folks are apprehensive about purchasing DX lenses when they won't be able to use them on an FX camera body. Is there any real advantage of having a D-SLR that has a full frame sensor at the amateur level? BTY, I will NOT be going back to film!!

I've no doubt that in time (and lots of practice/study) I shall master the capabilities of the D300. The lenses I have selected are the following:

Nikon 17-55 DX (because of it's range)
Nikon 70-200 VR (no brainer here)
Tokina 11-16 (yet to be released) I assume it is a DX format.

If there is a better combination to be had I would like to hear from you. I prefer not to go with primes as I don't wish to change lenses often. I shoot in very dusty and wet environments. Would I be better off getting my lenses that are FF capable, or is DX tech safe for a while. Inquiring minds need to know because I will never have this much cash at one time again and want to get it right the first time round. Your patience and tolerance is greatly appreciated. B & H is waiting and the money is wanting to be spent. Grateful for any advice.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow