Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Re: I watched the first 10 minutes ....
In reply to Gordon S Walker, Nov 23, 2007

Gordon S Walker wrote:

... of the first programme and never went back to it. It's not what I
expected at all.
I'll stick to my books.

I'm interested to hear in more detail what you lot feel is wrong with it (genuine request, rather than an attempt to argue.) Thursday nights for me are such that I've been recording them, but haven't had a chance to watch them properly, although I have seen patches.

Obviously, if there are actual mistakes then that's inexcusable. Omissions are unavoidable; you can't compress the 150 year history of something in to six hours, and everybody is going to have their own individual opinion on who/what is significant, and what is not. From what I have seen, it appears to use a few examples to paint an overview impression rather than trying to be a comprehensive treatise name-checking every relevant individual along the way. Now having tried to read the turgid list of names that is Herbert Asbury's Gangs of New York, I'd probably say it's no bad thing....

As an aside, the ratings for the first three episodes were 472k, 475k, and 405k, which are massive numbers for a BBC4 show (only a few signature dramas, and QI have ever really done better.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow