Started Nov 20, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DerekW
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
Auto ISO mode on 1D3.
Nov 20, 2007

Having just completed a photo shoot in Las Vegas at the U.S. Amateur Strongman Championships (6,100 images), I have to say I am pretty pleased with the performance of my new 'blue dot' (SN 548xxx) 1D3. I had thought the event was going to be indoors and that the AI-Servo problem wouldn't be an issue, but when I arrived I discovered that it had been moved outside to the parking lot ... in direct sunlight ... in temps around 80's. Fortunately, the only problems I had seem to be my own lack of centering the subject properly (when people are moving across in front of you, it's sometimes hard to get them centered for the initial focus lock, especially when you try to lead the subject slightly). I have always used RAW format in the past with a 1Ds, but this time I was confident enough to shoot large, best-quality JPG.

As the light dimmed and the sun set, though, I was having to constantly adjust the ISO at first, then the shutter speed to achieve optimal exposure. I started with ISO 200 and 1/400 (using 70-200 f2.8 IS), but by the end of the day's events, with only REFLECTED floodlighting in the parking lot, I was shooting ISO 3200 and 1/200, and still getting slight under exposure (no flash, working with what I had; also had high ISO NR turned on).

It seems to me that one thing that Canon can do to improve the 1D3 - and possibly restore some of the excitement about the 1D3 - would be to implement an 'Auto ISO' mode, whereby the operator sets the Tv and Av (shutter speed and aperture) and then the camera picks the best ISO to achieve proper exposure. I think I read that the Nikon D3 is going to feature something like this, and it just seems like a logical expansion of the cameras capabilities.

This could be implemented entirely in the software for the camera. The only problem might be how to display that mode on the top LCD, since there is no symbol for it. One way might be to display both the 'Av' and 'Tv' icons simultaneously - to indicate that the user has to set both of those values for 'Auto ISO' mode.

Sound like a good idea? Or am I missing something if it already has that capability?

-- hide signature --

DerekW - Wrestling - Fighting - Strongman - Bodybuilding

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow