Started Apr 20, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jason Hutchinson
Forum ProPosts: 12,177
Like?
G2 lens destroyed
Apr 20, 2002

Dropped my G2 from about 5 feet tonight onto a hard carpet surface tonight. It landed flat on the lens and instantly died. It appears that the internal lens piece that used to be connected (glued?) to the barrel near the front-most piece of glass has come loose.

Now the lens is jammed (near the telephoto position) and the camera won't even stay on in play mode. It just says "lens" after trying to move the lens in or out... then shuts off.

Took it all apart... had it in about 30 pieces. I got to the point where I pulled the lens from the body, but there is one last flat ribbon-type cable holding it to the main circuit board. Because of this, I wasn't able to take the lens apart to see if it could be repaired because the screws are on the back of the lens. Didn't feel like going further than this tonight... so I put it all back together.

Has anyone ever had their lens replaced from Canon, and have an idea how much it costs? Obviously, this wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Ironically, I got my first 2 lenses for my future D60 today. I guess if it's going to cost too much like greater than $400 to fix.. I will spend the money on another lens for the D60 instead. It's a shame either way.

Jason

P.S. Avoid the 300 volt 170uF capacitor inside the G2.... as it was still charged to 147 volts when I checked it 1 hour after removing the battery. That could sting a bit.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow