Started Nov 16, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mipal7
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Living in an "industry town" sucks
Nov 16, 2007

The other day I was at the "World Famous" Farmers Market here in Los Angeles, walking around with my my d200 in my bag when I decided to bring it out to shoot a few photos of a fruit stand when a security guard approached me and albeit nicely told me that I could not take pictures because my camera looked "professional". In my defense, I consciously pretended that my camera wasn't a professional model, and that by far I wasn't a pro-photographer (although both are lies, as I am a pro and everyone knows that a D200 is considered a pro-level body). He was friendly about the entire encounter saying that he was just enforcing the rules, and I was compliant as well, but I did ask him that as a "tourist", I wouldn't be allowed to photograph cause my camera looks professional? He said I would either have to stop or get a written approval from the management at the Farmers Market.

Now to clarify, I wasn't shooting one subject from different angles or positions, nor was I shooting anyone. I just happen to come across a nice scene and pop off two shots before I was asked to stop.

Needless to say, living in an industry town like L.A. has made it difficult for people to shoot for fun, let alone for tourists to get nice shots if they are holding a pro looking camera. Oh, and btw, with all my Nikons, I have used gaffers tape to block out any and all signs of "Nikon" and the model numbers just for safety's sake when traveling. It wards off the look-i-loos.

That's my 2 cents on the matter. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
P.s.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow