Flat view
RappWizard
Contributing MemberPosts: 791
Like?
My Epson P2000 is now a $500 paper weight
Nov 7, 2007
-- hide signature --

RappWizard

I purchased the Epson P2000 about 2 .5 years ago and it was always a very reliable portable storage device. I never lost a single image and took it with me on many trips. UNTIL LAST NIGHT! I had it connected to my Mac and I noticed my computer kept locking up on me as I was sorting through images on the P2000. Eventually I had to restart the computer and I got the dreaded "press reset" message on the P2000. After many attempts to reset, I started to hear a very unsettling sound from within the unit. Instead of the normal hardrive spinning sound from within the P2000, I started to hear a very abnormal clanking noise from within the P2000 which could be the harddrive but I'm not sure. Eventually, I couldn't even get any screen to come up on the unit, just a black screen.

Fortunately I have been able to recover most of my recent images from the CF cards that had been downloaded into the P2000 from an excellent data recovery software program that I bought a couple of years ago for $30. BUT, I'm curious as to whether its worth it to me go through that entire procedure of swapping out harddrives ( I found an instructional video from one of the threads on this Forum) or whether based on what I've described, could it be more than a defective harddrive? I'd of course still have to re-install the operating system on the new harddrive and the whole process looks pretty daunting ( to me anyway). Has anybody out there gone through this process. With CF cards being so cheap these days I'm thinking about writing off the P2000 and just buying a couple of extra 4 to 8 GB CF cards and in the future and just backing up my cards on a notebook when I'm on the road. Sending the P2000 into Epson would be cost prohibitive especially since I've had it for over 2 years and it would cost almost the price of a new one to repair it. Plus, I don't trust this unit any more. Yes, it has a very nice display screen but in lieu of its price there are much less expensive ways to back up images. Any input would be appreciated.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow