Started Nov 4, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rjmccutchan
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
New to canon with 10D
Nov 4, 2007

I recently purchased a Canon 10D, BG-ED3 grip, and extra batteries to go with it. I have $450 in the whole outfit which looks as if it has never been used. I don't have any Canon lenses yet, but I do have a Canon adapter for M42 mount and a handful of Takumar lenses. I only have one regret in this purchase: I wish I would have made the switch to Canon sooner!!

I started in digital with an Olympus E20, then purchased a Konica Minolta 5D because I had several Minolta AF lenses from my pre-digital years. The Minolta is a very good camera, but just too small and Minolta has a history of shutter problems with the 7D and 5D.

I am very impressed with the feel of the 10D. It feels solid as a rock and the shutter is VERY quiet. I can't explain it, but it just fits. I didn't realize how much the weight of the camera helps to steady the camera and reduce camera shake as much as it does. Everyone seems to want a lighter and smaller camera, but the bigger heavier camera seems to have helped reduce camera shake. I can shoot a stop or two slower with less problems.

The 10D will not break any speed records, but I don't need a fast camera since I shoot weddings, portraits, and fine art. The noise at ISO 100-400 is great, but it falls off fast after that. Although ISO 800 is good if the photograph is exposed properly or even a little over-exposed. ISO 1600 is o.k. if you convert to black and white and are looking for that high-grain look. Portraits at ISO100 are absolutely amazing!

As far as megapixels go, 6mp is plenty for me. I recently had a 20x30" print made and was amazed at the image quality!

I have been a die-hard Minolta fan for years, but lost my faithfulness with the purchase of the 10D! Along with image quality, build quality is important to me, and the 10D seems as sturdy as you can get.

Also, since I am only using M42 mount, the screen is surprisingly good for manual focus. Not quite as good as I would like, (ie: split image focus screen) but really not bad at all. Maybe a Katzeye would help.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I thought it might help someone else if they were thinking of investing in a Canon system. I can only imagine the newer models would be even better.

Robert

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow