Started Nov 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chewie
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
580EX II, 420EX, and pocket wizards question
Nov 2, 2007

Been doing some reading over on the strobist site and I'm thinking of working on my lighting and moving it off my camera. I currently have a 20D and 420EX.

As I understand it, if I get some PW's to control my flash, it will work, but there's no way to control the output of the flash, as the PW doesn't support E-TTL and there are no manual controls on the 420EX, right?

So, it looks like I may have to get the 580EXII--though E-TTL still doesn't work, the flash has manual controls so I'll have to use trial-and-error until I get used to things. Now, if I go that route, I could potentially save some money and use the 580EXII (off camera w/PW) as a master to trigger my 420EX still, correct? If I do that, can I use the 580EX to control the output of the 420EX? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can set the lighting ratios on the 580 with a master/slave. I was hoping to go this route to cut down on the cost of having a 2-flash setup.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow