Started Oct 28, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Playsinthedirt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?
Dangerous Encouters In Outdoor Photography
Oct 28, 2007

I love outdoor photography, in fact that's about all I do. However, living in the desert southwest there's all sorts of things that can "getcha" if you don't pay attention. We've got the Scorpions - Rattlesnakes - Gila Monsters - Nasty Spiders - and Cougers to name a few. And this is not to discount the rough terrain and the chance of injuring one's self while climbing around rocks and mountains out in the boonies.

I was just wondering what dangerous encounters you all have had while out photographing in the outback wherever you live, and what was the outcome. What steps do you take to protect yourself while out there? Personally I've been lucky and have not had any problems other than running in to a Panamint Rattlesnake here recently. He introduced himself and I said goodbye. But then there's always a chance. With human encrouchment in to wildlife habitat, coupled with the widespread drought conditions, animals are becoming more and more bold. That's always on my mind while I'm out there, and that's why in addition to carrying my camera gear I also carry my 40 cal. semi auto with me just in case.

So let's hear your stories...

-- hide signature --

Greg

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow