Started Oct 27, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dennis
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
In-camera digital filters...
Oct 27, 2007

I am not really sure if this has been discussed elsewhere on DPReview, but I share your interest in Fujifilm FinePix cameras, so I will try to air this here:

In an earlier life I enjoyed using filters with my analogue Nikon SLR. Costly in filters some times, but great fun. In those days, it also made much sense to me swapping lenses, but with the 10x zoom on my FinePix, I tend to focus on taking pictures nowadays.

Today most filter effects can be applied using various tools, but often reveal artefacts of the JPEG compression. Naturally, an option in many cameras today is to use RAW and apply the filter effects on these images, but most people I know would never grasp the concept. (Note to myself: expand my social network.)

Some filter effect can not be reproduced by software e.g. polarizer, but many can. And when looking through e.g. Hama's or Cokin’s range of coloured filters for black and white photography and graduated neutral density (or blue, brown and orange) and could easily be implemented as digital filters in the camera and hereby be applied before compressing the picture to the JPEG format. Just like when Fujifilm has included the option of switching between normal film, chrome (slide) film and black and white. Maybe Hama and Cokin wouldn’t be to happy about it...

So, my point is: Fujifilm, why not include various well-known filter effects in consumer cameras - it’s just additional in-camera software (hardly a challenge) and to me it would seem as much a selling feature as e.g. face detection.

Well, just my €0.02 ...

Dennis's gear list:Dennis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-420
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow