Started Oct 20, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jugglervr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614
Like?
Yellow Pfiltz Softbox
Oct 20, 2007

holy cow, i've got a yellow softbox. It's the photoflex 16x20 that Pfiltz has been using (or had been a year ago). I've had it for almost a year, but I never realized just how yellow it was until I shot in a dark room with no ambient light. I used a regular SB as the key, and the small one as a kicker. All of the kicked light had an unpleasant greenish tone (walls were blue), so I set up a test, and imagine my dismay when I found just how yellow my small SB was. Check out the picture below.

I shot with both boxes on my alienbees (with camera in flash WB), then switched and took another frame to ensure that the flashtube wasn't the deciding factor.

Top images are untouched out of camera. Bottom images have a large square with average blur to get an idea of the true color. Also is a square desaturated within each averaged area, to demonstrate how far off the coloring is from neutral (the ab box is a tad blue, the photoflex is VERY orange)

So... Is it likely that this box has yellowed this badly in a year (the AB boxes i have are over 4 years old), or does photoflex just make crappy equipment? What should I do about this? complain to mfr? try to return to the store for credit? rrrr.

-- hide signature --

'I put the camera in 'P' for 'professional' and wrote what I wanted the camera to do on a sticky note under the batteries... Used the headlights from my car on the model and that did the trick...'

You can have it done (pick two): () good () cheap () fast. -Anonymous

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow