Canon USA's written response re 1D MKIII focus issue (unacceptable IMHO)

Started Oct 18, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Tower
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
Canon USA's written response re 1D MKIII focus issue (unacceptable IMHO)
Oct 18, 2007

After reading the news here, I sent Canon an e-mail last night regarding the repair program. The following is from the response I received:

"After thorough research, Canon has found that some EOS-1D Mark III cameras have an issue with the sub-mirror mechanism which is part of the autofocus optical system. This issue may cause unstable focus prediction performance with moving subjects in AI-Servo AF and continuous shooting modes particularly in higher than normal temperatures. The process for repair of the EOS-1D Mark III cameras, for those customers who are dissatisfied with the focus prediction performance, will be announced on the Canon USA Web site in late October.

If you are not currently experiencing this issue with your EOS-1D Mark III then it will not happen in the future. Cameras with this problem manifest it from the time the camera is purchased. However, we will contact you as soon as the repair program is finalized."

So Canon expects me to remain satisfied with the Camera even if I personally haven't experienced problems. That means if and when I go to sell the Camera, buyer will have to take my word that I haven't experienced problems.

I don't shoot with fast, long lenses. What if the potential buyer does? I could offer him no reassurance that the camera (at that point out of warranty) doesn't have problems.

I find this response from Canon USA unacceptable. I will be sending my camera in, even if I have not experienced specific problems (which I haven't but I've only had it two weeks with limited use in cool temperatures).

It seems to me that Canon ought to be falling all over itself to accommodate people at this point. And, yes, I was aware of the problem when I bought the camera, but was confident Canon would rectify it. I was just hoping for a little more "tact" in the way they went about it.

-- hide signature --

Phil Tower

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow