Better equipment DOES make you a better photographer!

Started Oct 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photovalve
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Better equipment DOES make you a better photographer!
Oct 12, 2007

I know that this is going to upset some people but I see a lot of posts where people say that better equipment doesn't make you a better photographer, which I think is wrong.

Let me qualify what I mean. My having better equipment than say, Jim, does not mean all my photos are better than Jim's. He may have a better compositional eye than me.

However, if better equipment doesn't make you a better photographer why aren't people using a Box Brownie or a compact digicam?

Better equipment allows me to become a better photographer because I have more picture taking opportunities than with a digicam. Better lenses mean my pictures are sharper and look better. Since my pictures look better I am encouraged to learn more about composition and to take more pictures (which is always a good thing). Also, my friends like my pictures so more of them want me to take pictures of them, which again helps me become better.

So if you're struggling with a decision about whether to buy something simply because you think you're 'not good enough' or 'it won't help you take better pictures' I can safely say you are good enough and your pictures will improve.

Just my 2p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovalve

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
notNew
no.New
NO -New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow