Started Oct 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Frank_NZ
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
S8000fd..More on what I like and dislike
Oct 7, 2007

Over a week has gone by and not too many more pictures taken. Have been out in the early morning hours to take some shots of the moon and the planet Venus. Pleased to say It has handled these pretty well. Although in the cooler temperatures the camera does need to time to adapt (2-5 mins) after leaving the warmth of the house. A half moon photographed at 1/400th sec, F8, 1600 ISO and 18x magnification, was indeed very good quality. Venus was photographed at 1/4 sec f 4.5, ISO 200 and 18X magnification. A near perfect circular shape was photographed but it was just a little too bright, so would use a slightly faster speed next time in a similar situation. Variations in brightness from these planetry objects and stillness of the atmosphere will continue to be a challenge when taken these sorts of shots. Recommend a tripod and setting the timer for these.

Next challenge (for me anyway) will be to take a photo of the space station as it flies by. Details of early morning or early evening sightings available via NASA website if any one else is keen to try.

Having taken a few more shots outside in daylight, I do find the lack of quality viewing on the LCD screen continues to be a big negative especially when trying to share ideas for a good photo with my wife. (Solution buy another S8000fd, which I would do, " if " I could get that same special price as I paid originally).

The only other thing I miss in the s8000fd is the RAW mode. Without it how am I going to learn the tricks available in photoshop. (;-)

More soon.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow