Started Oct 6, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ahuyevshi06
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
G9, a pair of 580s' and a review from an dSLR shooter
Oct 6, 2007

So I'm definitely not a newbie to digital photography. Got my first digital cam (Kodak dc-20) back in 95. I have had my share of dSLRs (starting with the d30) and p&s.. And I have to say that after all these years I think I finally found a good sacrifice between the two.

For years I have been carrying a bag with 3 or 4 lenses 2 bodies and 2 flashes... Now with the birth of my first child, I really just wanted something I could stick in my pocket. Bought the SD430 2 years ago and that was very disappointing. Then picked up the SD750IS and have to say it wasn't any better. I actually started considering a 40D as a backup, but then it would be the same story.. 24-70+40D makes one want to carry more batteries, flash, lenses etc... I'll wait till the 5DMK2 comes out sell my 5 and then buy the MK2 and a 40. In terms of take me anywhere, I think I found a winner.

This isn't my first attempt at a G series. Had the G2 and then the G5 which I still must admit was one of my favorite cameras. Currently I have a 5D with a ton of glass.. So I'm usually reaching for the 24-70, 35 1.4 and 85 1.2 (MK1), and it gets to be a pain when we are just going to the park, or to mine or my wifes parents. I started looking at pocket cameras again when my daughter was born 2 months back. Been reading all the reviews I could find and decided on either the G9 or the S5IS. I got my dad the S5IS and I really did like it but the flash was very flimsy for me, and I wasn't a fan of the cheap build. The controls were rather limiting, but a good camera none the less. In auto mode it seemed to perform fairly well for the 4x6 prints he was making..

I got to see the G9 at circuit city today and I was thoroughly impressed by the build, the IQ was phenomenal. The manual features are very easy to get to. Love the huge screen. Macro is very good to say the least. I don't shoot enough of it to warrant a macro setup, but for some quick shots this will probably be useful. Face detect works great and very accurate. The green beam is somewhat annoying but assists in focusing so I'm ok with it.

I haven't had a chance to take it outside and play with it during ideal situations yet, but will definitely update when I do.

Pros:
1. Great Build.. Feels solid and much more pocketable then my G5 was
2. IQ!

3. Details are fantastic at ISO 80/100 haven't had much time to go above, but I honestly think we pixelpeep to much these days.

4. JPG colors are accurate indoors under less then ideal situations (will try with Grey card as well)
5. Macro is awesome
6. Full Manual Controls

Love the ASA Dial

Now for the cons:

1. Haven't played with scene modes but the shutter lag is definitely not great for shooting babies or dogs

2. Wont control my pocket wizards Might be able to jimmy rig something, but that wasn't my point in buying one. Just wanted something to have with me always so technically not a con

3. Looks ridiculous with a 580EX. I put the MK2 on as well and the hotshoe doesn't feel like it will last with the MK2 on. A little better with the MK1 but still not the ideal solution.
4. Small viewfinder
5. Minimum aperture of F/4.8-F/8

Conclusion.. The time has come for a camera that can fit in your pocket and gives you phenomenal shots with full manual control. The perfect sidekick for any dSLR.

Manual mode 18.5mm 1/250@F/5 ISO 80 580EX manual 1/16 bounced up with stofen omnibounce

Manual mode 14.8mm 1/160@F/5 ISO 80 580EX manual 1/16 on camera for fill with stofen omnibounce. 580EX MK2 on stand into a silver umbrella 1/16 to camera right.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow