Started Oct 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Reybabes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
One lens, just one, for a beginner...
Oct 5, 2007

Hi - my daughter has a chance to get into the Canon line (which I'm not too familiar with) at her school. She'll likely get an XTi and she asked me today which lens she should get. As she is just learning, my old fashioned sensibilities steered me toward a Sigma 30/1.4 or Canon 50/1.8 (that's how her dad learned). My practical side steered me toward the 18-55 kit lens, thinking she can decide which other or replacement lens(es) she'll need over time. My invest-for-the-long-haul side made me think that she (ok, her parents) should spring for more so that she can own the lens for the long haul (maybe a Tamron 17-50 or Canon 17-85, if it's any good, or something comparable). She has done a lot of photography with a Minolta 5D (and its kit lens) and is considering minoring in photography. The Minolta needs repair work and my advice is that she's better off getting out of the Minolta/Sony line at this point.

Any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow