Started Sep 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
I need a new lens for my D40 - Help
Sep 29, 2007

I dropped my D40 on our hardwood floors today and I believe I broke the stock 18-55 lens. When I turn the lens with my hand, it no longer rotates smoothly. Also, when I half press the button to fine focus, it makes a weird sound and will not focus; I do not force the issue as I am afraid of hurting the motor.

If indeed I need a new lens, I would be most grateful for suggestions. My wife and I are very pleased with the photos from the stock lens. I don't think we want to spend a lot of money on a high dollar lens, seeing we are happy with the stock lens. The majority of photos taken with the camera is of our son and car shows I have attended; we do print photos of our son at home.

I am pleased with the 18-55 size, I really like the 18; going higher than 55 would be a bonus, as long as it doesn't compromise quality, I know nothing about lenses. I do not know how I would feel about a longer lens without trying it, it may make it tough to fit in our case. On the other hand, we generally like to buy quality.

I just found this out and I may go to town to look tomorrow, we have Norman's camera and a Ritz. It would be nice to purchase ASAP, but if there can be big savings buying online, assuming they are reputable, I could wait.

Thank you for any and all help,
--
Brian Miller

Brian's gear list:Brian's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow