Started Sep 26, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
1st DSLR, 1st shot, pdx to Istanbul
Sep 26, 2007

Hey, I think no one here hesitated longer before buying or rather keeping their first DSLR. It's been years. I just bought the k100d, kit lens and DA 21mm. I've bought and returned other DSLR-class cameras. This is the one I will keep and take with me when I move to Istanbul next month.

Any Pentax shooters here from Istanbul?

The picture is not actually my first picture with the camera, but almost. It is from the first thing I pointed the camera at outside of the test shots in my house and yard. I thought I would go out and shoot something for the Cityscapes contest, but after seeing the wonderful moody light on the entries decided I would just post this here as a first shot. The shot uses the anti-shake and 1/13 of a second on a jittery bridge to smooth out the water and avoid freezing the grain that is pouring out of the shoots -- to try for a little atmosphere.

First tech question -- how to do I save a jpg in Photoshop without stripping out the EXIF data?

Second question -- does Lightroom really suck as a RAW converter as so many here claim? Can you see the alleged bad effects of Lightroom in this picture? Can't I find some way to overcome its perceived weaknesses in color rendering? I want to like it, because I don't want to buy anything else.

I tried out Bibble, Lightzone, and Capture One today. Interestingly Bibble fixed the barrel distortion of the DA 21mm and diminished the quality of this picture. That's not a criticism of Bibble, but sometimes distortion is a good thing. In this picture it emphasized the curve of the anchor ropes and the railroad tracks at the lower right and makes the picture more interesting.

Thanks to everyone for all your informative posts that I have been pouring over for so long.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow