Why live-view is a great new feature (w/ pic)

Started Sep 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wickedphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Why live-view is a great new feature (w/ pic)
Sep 19, 2007

I shot the moon last night with my 70-300 IS. I've done this many times before but I was never happy with the sharpness of the picture. I always assumed the lens was not sharp enough to crop out the moon at 100% and have it look good. Well, turns out I was wrong! I set up my tripod last night with the 40D and 70-300, in manual mode. Set ISO 500, f/8, and shutter speed of 1/60. The kicker was that I used live view to manual focus at 10x. I never realized how sharp this lens actually was. My problem wasn't the resolution but the focus all along! I don't believe that the lens has a focus problem, I never had a problem with closer objects. Maybe I'm wrong and it is defective? Also FWIW I used a remote release and DID use IS as I focused, this helped immensly.

Anyway here's the shot, a 100% crop processed, cropped, and sharpened in ACR only. There was a huge amount of noise in the dark area but I upped the "blacks" controll and that just blacked it out.

Thanks for looking!
--
http://www.photobyaaron.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow