Started Sep 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WBLO
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
XTi locks up after taking photo
Sep 14, 2007

I've had my XTi for about a month now, and I've been very pleased. However, my camera exhibits some odd behavior that only seems to happen when the battery begins to get low.

I'll shoot along uneventfully until the battery reaches a certain point (the display still shows 3/3 bars) and suddenly I'll go to take a picture, which happens as normal, except the mirror won't release after the photo is taken. The LCD won't display anything (or will be frozen on the status screen) and the CF light will remain lit. If I switch the camera to "Off" the power light remains on, as does the CF Light.

At this point I have to pull the battery and re-insert it, and the camera will come back to life, although the photo I just took won't be on the card. The other data on the card isn't impacted. At this point the battery gauge will now show 2/3, but if I try to take another photo it'll lock up again, or display "Change the Battery Pack."

While I know the battery used in the XTi isn't very large, I'd expect the battery gauge to be able to tell me the amount of power left without dying suddenly when it indicates 3/3 bars. I have another battery on the way (I was going to buy one anyways) and can see if I just have a problem there.

I've asked around and one suggestion was that it could be the (PNY brand 4GB) CF card, although it's not given me any problems at any other time. There may be something wrong with it causing it to hang the camera when the battery gets even slightly weak. I have two other (much smaller) CF cards I'll try to test out when this problem crops up again.

I'm hoping the problem is the battery or CF card, because I'd hate to have to deal with shipping my camera back to Canon and being without it for however long it'd take to fix. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?
--
Matt
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taurusaficionado/collections/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow