Started Sep 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DiveDr
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
40D what do the owners think?
Sep 13, 2007

Well I have seen a lot of traffic here about the 40D. Some say it meters badly, others say it focuses badly. Some even imply it was the weapon used on the grassy knoll (sorry I couldn't resist!)

What I have seen first hand with my copy is that this thing performs and it does it well! It seems to have better dynamic range than any other camera I have ever used. It also sports a wealt of features at a price piont that is below the rest of the competition, quite a bit of bang for the buck. Does it have all the features of the D300, no but that camera does not yet exist in the mainstream market and it wll be priced about $500 USD higher than the 40D.

I have about 1500 shots on mine and as far as metering, AF, flash performance (onboard and with the 580EX) it is a behemoth! Exposure is dead on and AF is fast and fantastic even in low light. Could I ask for a better feature set, well, yes but I bought this camera knowing what it offered out of the box and in a respects it has more than delivered on my expectations.

So many posts on defects and problems I don't see make me wonder if they are really valid or just constructed to make people upset. The real world performance of my copy is brilliant. Perhaps others have gotten bad copies but mine is dead on. Please look at some of my posts for samples. I can't fault this camera for anything and I think it is a great, fun tool to work with.

It blows away my brothers D80 and he freely admits it (a family feud has been raging there for years.) The IQ is fantastic even at 3200. My 8.5x11 prints are stunning. I am very happy. Is there dust on the sensor, yes. Is there dust in the viewfinder, yes. Are there any artifacts on my F22 shots, no.

What do the majority of 40D owners think?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow