Camera decision about surgical procedures

Started Sep 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
David G O Smith
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Camera decision about surgical procedures
In reply to muunal, Sep 12, 2007

Lighting inside the areas of the body in which you specialize, ear, nose, throat may be difficult unless you use a DSLR. Who is going to take the actual pictures? Are you actually wanting pictures during the surgery? If you are, perhaps remote operation of the camera is needed so that someone who does not need to be as uncontaminated as the actual surgeon needs to be can take the actual exposure on your instruction.

I am wondering whether a DSLR might be better since you can attach a ring-light to a macro lens on a DSLR and many DSLRs have software allowing for remote operation of the camera.

One of the new Nikons has Live View or equivalent, as do Olympus and Panasonic DSLRs.

Because the inherent contrast of the pictures will be a long way away from the 'normal' for which camera makers plan, you almost certainly need RAW capability, which I don't think the Fuji S8000 has.

The Fuji S5 DSLR does have a wider dynamic range than many other DSLRs. You might wish to look into that. It is based on a Nikon D200 so you should be able to fit a Nikon macro lens and a Nikon ring-light easily enough.

I don't know how you could sterilize a camer or lens or ring-light so that it could be safely used in an operating theater.

This may be a silly suggestion but the thought occurred to me that an underwater housing might be a relatively easy way to deal with the cleaning/sterilization issue. I believe that underwater housings are available for most point and shoots and some DSLRs. Whether the disinfecting chemicals would damage the underwater housings I do not know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow