Started Sep 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
!D Mark III with 100-400 shooting college soccer
Sep 12, 2007

I posted this on the lens forum as there are always a lot of people on the fence as to what long lens to buy so I thought I would throw in a plug for the 100-400 lens and post here as well. I know for shooting sports the 300 2.8 is a very popular lens and it is on my future purchase list. I shoot a lot of sports but financially I earn the least for my time as I shoot a lot for UNM athletics but do not get paid. For me at this point the 300 2.8 is not a practical buy (not that this stops me!).

So for now I have to use the poor mans alternatives - a 100-400 for daylight and the 70-200 2.8 with an extender (1.4) for night games (I can use the 1.4 more often with the 1DM3, which is why I bought the camera). I personally feel I am not really giving up a lot in sharpness for the intended purpose of the photos and I gain a lot of flexability. I am able to get shots of action that suddenly moves close to me that I cannot get with a long fixed lens (unless I can run backwards really fast). I believe these lenses are just fine for internet posting and even for media guides. I fretted a bit when selling my non Is 70-200 2.8 for the IS version (I am shooting more and more weddings) because of what a read about sharpness - the non Is lens being sharper. For all practical purposes if the 70-200 2.8 IS is sharper I feel the differences are not noticable under the vast majority of circumastances. I am throwing this statement in because I know the 300 2.8 will be sharper than the 100-400, but the sharpeness of the 100-400 is more than fine for most uses.

Sunday was the first time I had a chance to test my 1DM3 and 100-400 combo and for the most part I was extremely pleased. Sometimes the lens would hunt or it would not grab focus fast enough, but not enough times where I felt it was a problem. I did not expect it to perform any differently than it did.

The lens doubles up as great vacation and travel lens so for my first long lens purchase i am very very pleased. Here is the gallery -

http://expecttowin.smugmug.com/gallery/3463723

I am still playing around with various sharpening actions so some are a little oversharpened (some were cropped a bit). It is really nice to have that extra reach for soccer and the extra megapixels (especially compared to a D2H which was my sports lens a couple years back) for cropping. I could get useful photos clear on the other end of the field, although still a bit too far away. I really love the lens! And by the way, even with this lens my camera seemed to do fine tracking someone running right at me, so I feel I lucked out with my Mark III. I could post some series, football and soccer, of someone coming at me but I think at this point there have been enough of those kinds of posts so I will spare you. You are just going to have to take my word for it! LOL!

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow