Why so many LiveView without articulated LCD?

Started Sep 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Frank43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Why so many LiveView without articulated LCD?
Sep 11, 2007

Now that so many manufacturers have seen the light and implemented LiveView on DSLR's, I wonder why there are so many designs with fixed LCDs.

Who really wants to hold a camera at arm's length? LiveView with fixed LCD would be mostly for tripod use. What about all these difficult angle shots without tripod? What about shooting with the camera at the waist, strongly held against the body? I think a large part of the value of LiveView is lost without an articulated LCD.

Most of the difficulty of LiveView is in the electronic implementation. Surely the mechanical articulated LCD is relatively simple to implement. There have been so many articulated LCD's on oher cameras and camcorders that I don't think that there is an unsurmontable patent.

Olympus had an articulted LCD on the E330. Then, they droped it on the E410 and E510. Why? I might have bought the E510 if it had an articulated LCD. Canon and Nikon jumped on the LiveView idea and implemented it but with fixed LCDs.

Only the Olympus E3 will have LiveView and an articulated LCD. This might be the most obvious positive differentiator for the E3. Canon and Nikon are busy copying the best Olympus ideas - why stop at the articulated LCD?

Now we have to choose between an articulated LCD and a larger sensor. I am not sure I need a larger sensor but I am sure I will not buy a camera without an articulated LCD.

I will not spend several thousands buying the E3 and lens the first year, paying early adopters' prices. Like the E330 price, I would expect the E3 price to drop by 50% after a year or two. I will wait and, by then, many manufacturers might have LiveView, with articulated LCDs, on their entry level cameras.

Is it wishful thinking?

Frank

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow