Canon 40D needs to lower price to $850

Started Aug 24, 2007 | Discussions thread
EmjayPrice
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 40D needs to lower price to $850
In reply to Trance, Sep 10, 2007

While the Op is a little emotional over this he is not wothout merit on some of his points.

IMHO Canon has dropped the ball here. And while I don't think the 40D should sell for $850, I do think it should sell for less.

Yes, the D300 is $500 or so more than the D40, but at this level I am not sure how important that really is. I paid more for my 10D than the D300 will cost. The real cost in any system is the "extras". I have enough in lenses, flashes, batteries etc... to buy the D300 a few times.

I think what Canon really needs to take notice of is the tone of the outrage this time. In the past folks would mostly gripe about exposure or focus issues. This time they are talking about switching platforms. To me this is different than on the other upgrades D60 - 10D - 20D - 30D.

With past Nikon upgrades D70, D200 etc... while I thought they were interesting I never once considered changing platforms. This is not the case now.

I hope Canon is paying attention. I believe that if they wish to retain their customer base, then they really should look at adding some of the requested features via firmware upgrades. Fine focus adjustment comes to mind. Remapping the print button is another.

I decided to skip the 30D and wait, my thoughts were to just buy the successor. Instead my thoughts are should I buy the successor or switch to Nikon. If the 40D had been 12mp and had a couple more of the D300 features, I would have just bought the 40D no questions asked.

While no amount of technology could make me a better photgraher, it could help raise the keepers ratio. I have struggled somewhat with focus issues on my 20D.

-- hide signature --

...Mike

'Fortune favours the bold' - Virgil

'Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go' - TS Elliot

EmjayPrice's gear list:EmjayPrice's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow