In reply to Garth Raber, Aug 27, 2007

Garth Raber wrote:

I installed Viewer on Mepis using the CD . It opens no problem, but I
don't know how to get access to my files on the ntfs portion of my
disc.

Your drives in SimplyMEPIS will be under mnt

For example, my NTFS partition is located here:

mnt/hda1

So, when I use an application that doesn't have a storage media choice available in it's menus, I simply use the file system choice an navigate to this folder (which is really my NTFS partition).

Note that you can tell what the mount point is by starting KDiskfree. You'll find it under System> File System> View Disk Usabe (KDiskfree). Just look in the mount point column for your NTFS partition to see where it's going to be (probably under mnt somewhere).

One other comment. NTFS partitions may or may not be automounted until you click on one from Konquerer (or use something like KDiskfree to mount it).

There is a very easy way to make it Automount, if it's not being Automounted already. That way, it will already be mounted when you use Windows applications under Wine.,

Mount Points for disk drives in Linux are stored in this text file:

etc/fstab

You can edit it using Kwrite like this (note that some X authentication messages when starting it like this are normal). Or, you can just use KWrite as Root, navigate to that folder and click on it (in the KDE menus under System> File System> Super User Mode). This way is easier:

kdesu kwrite etc/fstab

Find the line that mounts your NTFS partition, and move it up to where it's above the Dynamic entries section (just cut and paste it). Then, remove NOAUTO and the following comma

It will end up looking something like this (see the line that has ntfs-3g in it). I just removed the noauto and comma, making sure it's above the dynamic section in this file. That way, it will automatically mount using ntfs-3g at each bootup without clicking on it using Konquerer first.

1. Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab

dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1 dev/hda3 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
none proc proc defaults 0 0
none
proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
none dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
none
sys sysfs defaults 0 0
dev/hda1 mnt/hda1 ntfs-3g users 0 0

1. Dynamic entries below

dev/hda2 mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
dev/sda1 mnt/sda1 vfat,ext3,ext2,reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
dev/sda2 mnt/sda2 vfat,ext3,ext2,reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
dev/sdb1 mnt/sdb1 vfat,ext3,ext2,reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
dev/cdrom media/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0
dev/hdc media/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0

In other words, if it looks something like this:

1. Dynamic entries below

dev/hda1 mnt/hda1 ntfs-3g noauto,users 0 0

Change it to this (where it's above the Dynamic entries without the noauto, part)

dev/hda1 mnt/hda1 ntfs-3g users 0 0

1. Dynamic entries below

That way, it will already be mounted when you use Windows apps under Wine if you haven't clicked on it from a Linux app yet). Then, you'll find your drive in Windows apps by navigating to the mount point shown when browsing folders In my case, it's here:

mnt/hda1

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow