Started Aug 26, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Prestidigitator
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?
Canon needs *at least 2 years* to catch up on us - Nikon
Aug 26, 2007

I dunno why the first thread I started about this topic got deleted, but I just posted that comment from a Nikon exec to get reactions from fellow Canon users and maybe from those who know more about the product developments from these two companies. I see nothing inappropriate with that, so mods please inform me first if I'm OT or anything before deleting this thread. TIA.

Nikon stated that their goal is to own 40% of the worldwide SLR market, but they've in fact already surpassed that point. The trick of course, will be to hold onto it, in the face of an onslaught by what Marketing Manager Okamoto referred to as "the household appliance companies." (A tongue-very-firmly-in-cheek reference to Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung.)

One of the remarks I found most interesting though, I heard offline the night before, when a Nikon exec said that they'd "breathed a huge sigh of relief" when they saw Canon's announcements of this Monday. It's clear that Canon is feeling the pressure, I've never seen them announce a product as far in advance of availability as is the case with the 1Ds Mark III, and the advances in their line appear much more incremental than those just announced by Nikon. Canon's very clearly not a company to be counted out, and I suspect it'll only be a matter of time before the see-saw tips back in Canon's favor, but Nikon execs went so far as to say that they think they have at least two years before their sharpest competitor catches up.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1187901361.html

Just wondering why a company like Canon, with a $4.5BN annual R&D budget & consistent #2 ranking in global patents granted yearly, couldn't come up w/ a FF CMOS sensor w/ "gapless microlenses", 12-channel readout, that does 14-bit A/D, 9FPS, and ISO 12800 & 25600, before its much smaller competitor?? Not to mention the integration of the RGB metering sensor reading w/ that of the AF sensor to get better focus tracking, and the other EXPEED imaging processor functions like Active D-Lighting & built-in lateral CA correction & sharpness enhancement...

Add to that the news that the 5DMkII was already "feature-complete" even before the release of the D300 & D3, it just means we'll have to wait much longer to see any more substantial improvements w/ new Canon DSLRs...

5D replacement - Now 'feature complete'. Canon is working on the timing, most likely early 2008 [PMA is Jan 31 to Feb 2] Features include 16MP, Digic III and 14 bit.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_1DS_MkIII.html
--

A camera is an instrument that teaches people to see without it. - Dorothea Lange

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow